- Announcement Number:
- MWR 10-2020
- Child Care
- Position Status:
- Flex, No Benefits
- $12.21 - $14.95 Hourly
- Areas of Consideration:
- Local Commuting Area
- Relocation Expenses:
- Application Email:
- Opening Date:
- Cutoff Date:
- Closing Date:
Click here to view the full announcement or read below.
JOB SUMMARY: This position is located at the Youth Activities Center which is part of the Morale, Welfare and Recreation Department aboard Naval Air Station, Jacksonville, Florida.
To be considered all documents required need to be submitted with resume OR application. If not submitted your application/resume will not be graded.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: The purpose of the Child and Youth (CY) Program Assistant is to provide appropriate developmental care and instruction for children and youth ranging in age from 6 to 18 years in one or more CY programs. The incumbent works under the direction of the supervisor, who provides guidance on scope of assignments and assistance on more complex, non-routine problems. Work is reviewed in terms of results achieved and adherence to established standards and procedures. Routine day-to-day assignments are spot-checked; the more technical assignments are closely reviewed for adherence to policies, procedures, and instructions. The duties and responsibilities of the CY Program Assistant have been grouped into categories, including curriculum, indoor and outdoor environment, interactions and relationships, supervision of children and youth, parent and employee communication, assessment, compliance, and additional responsibilities and other related duties that may be assigned.
- Prior experience working with children and/or youth preferred. At least 18 years of age with a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to speak, read and write English.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally or in writing.
- Ability to complete all DoN training requirements within the specified timeframes, including orientation, initial, Standardized Module Training, and ongoing training requirements (such as First Aid/CPR).
- Ability to foster and promote effective working relationships with children and youth and co-workers.
- Ability to work cooperatively as a team.
- Ability to obtain a driver’s license if required.
- Ability to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) if position requires incumbent to transport children.
- Ability to favorably pass a pre-employment physical, provide evidence of immunization and be free from communicable disease. Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Six months experience working with children or youth in a child or youth setting
- Completion of child abuse modules and modules 1-3 of the DoN Standardized Module Training.
- Knowledge of basic child and youth development principles as they relate to children and youth’s physical, social, emotional and intellectual development.
- Ability to implement developmentally appropriate child and youth development principles and practices under immediate supervision to provide direct care, education and development for children and youth, individually or with groups of children and youth.
- Ability to interpret a curriculum or activity plan and follow written instructions.
- A Child Development Associate (CDA) credential or Military School-Age (MSA) credential or a 2-year degree in a related field. New hires at this level must complete the Navy module program within 18 months.
- Completion of the DoN Standardized Module Training AND 12 months experience working with children and youth.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The work requires considerable walking, standing, bending, stooping and lifting up to 40 pounds. Activities may require incumbent to drive an automobile (to include driving government vehicle while transporting children). However most of the work is done in classrooms or activity areas, and no special, physical demands are made upon the incumbent.
HOW TO APPLY: All interested applicants should submit an application OR resume as well as the Declaration of Federal Employment (OF 306) (http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf) in one of the following ways:
BY FAX TO: (904) 542-3424
SUBMIT VIA EMAIL TO: JAXS_NAS_MWRJOBAPPS@NAVY.MIL
NAF Application form and Request for Military Spouse Preference form can be picked up at the MWR Personnel Office or can be downloaded from navymwrjacksonville.com under the "Jobs" tab.
EMPLOYMENT PREFERENCE: If requesting any type of employment preference, supporting documentation must be submitted with the application/resume to prove preference eligibility. The submission of a preference does not guarantee a position as applicant still must be highly qualified with the knowledge, skills, and educational requirements of each submittal.
*If claiming Veteran's Preference, completed SF-15 and a legible copy of DD-214 (page 4) as well as any other supporting documentation (disability, official statements, proof of service, etc). is required.
*If claiming Gold Star Veteran's Preference, completed SF-15 and a legible copy of DD-1300 as well as any other supporting documentation (official statements, document of service, court decree, etc.) is required.
*If claiming Department of Defense (DOD) Non-appropriated Fund (NAF) Business Based Action (BBA) Priority consideration, submit a copy of the notice of separation.
*If you are a current federal employee, submit your most recent Personnel Action Report (PAR) or SF-50.
*Proof of education (transcripts/copy of degree/high school diploma), if applicable to position requirements.
SPOUSAL PREFERENCE: Spousal Preference can be used only once to gain regular full time employment in the commuting area but may be used multiple times for flexible type position.
To prove eligibility, you must submit the following with your resume/application:
- Request for Military Spouse Preference form
- Copy of spouses’ orders that state the “Ultimate Activity” is within the average commuting distance to NAS Jacksonville.
- A copy of the marriage certificate that provides proof that marriage occurred prior to the issuance of the orders.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Employment is contingent upon a successfully completed and positively adjudicated National Agency Check (NACI) or higher background clearance as required by the position or local security requirements.
Must favorably pass a pre-employment physical, provide evidence of immunization and be free of communicable disease. In accordance with the DON Test Designated Position listing issued 13 May 2014 this position is subject to both pre-employment and random drug testing as a condition of employment. A positive drug test or failure to submit for testing may become the basis for removal or non-select for this position.
It is Department of Defense (DoD) policy that all employees are to participate in the direct deposit/electronic funds transfer. We require this to be established within the first 60 days of employment.
The Department of the Navy is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or any other non-merit factor.
We are an E-VERIFY employer.